Keeping your body moving is important for maintaining muscle conditioning and overall good health.Exercise physiology is an allied health service that uses exercise and movement to improve fitness, build strength and manage chronic disease. An exercise physiologist is a university qualified health professional who can assess your overall fitness, health and wellness and identify activities or lifestyle changes to support you to reach your goals. Whether you want to become more active, lose weight, increase movement or improve balance, an exercise physiologist can help.
Our exercise physiologist can:
- Design a fitness program just for you based on your goals and what you like doing
- Offer advice on lifestyle modifications for better health
- Help you achieve your fitness goals
- Assist you to prepare for other activities such as community or team sports, or attending a gym
- Ensure you are moving in a way that is safe and won’t make existing conditions or pain worse
Exercise physiologists can treat a wide range of conditions including:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Intellectual disability
- Physical disability
- Muscular dystrophy
- Spinal cord injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Chronic pain.
Everyone is different so the type of program we can design for you will be based on your individual needs and aims.
What to expect from an exercise physiologist.
- How you move
- Your posture and balance
- Fitness and strength
- Respiratory and cardiovascular fitness
- Diet and lifestyle
- Current medications
- Any limiting factors such as physical disabilities, injuries or pain.
Exercise physiology and the NDIS.You’re most likely to need exercise physiology services as part of your NDIS Plan if:
- Your goals relate to moving more independently, building strength, participating in community sports or improving fitness
- You are at risk of developing or have an existing condition that impairs physical movement
- Your disability makes it hard to maintain good health or a healthy weight.
Funding for exercise physiology will come from 1 of 2 budget areas in your NDIS Plan:
- Capacity building – Improved Daily Living
- Capacity building – Improved Health and Wellbeing.